1. 36-Hour Mega Adoptathon, Humane Society, 9 a.m. on Friday – 9 p.m. on Saturday, all ages, $36 or less
The Humane Society will be open for 36 hours straight this weekend, and over 15 different animal rescues and shelters will be onsite with adoptable animals. If you’re ready to provide a good home for a sweet dog or adorable cat, the most you’ll pay to adopt is $36. Hollywood Feed is offering gift cards along with every adoption and there are other actives as well.
2. Memphis Farmer’s Market, GE Patterson and S. Front St., Saturday, 7 a.m. – 1 p.m., free, all ages
Get downtown for the opening day of the Memphis Farmer’s Market for giveaways for kids, live performances by Opera Memphis, pet adoptions, and of course, over 40 vendors with a bounty of fruits, veggies, breads, and more.
3. International Jewish Film Festival, Memphis Jewish Community Center Belz Theater, all weekend, $10 per film
The first International Jewish Film Festival kicked off on Thursday at the MJCC and continues with films on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday’s film is Swedish film “Simon and the Oaks” and shows at 9 p.m., and Sunday’s film is a documentary/comedy called “Hava Nagila” and shows at 1 p.m. The festival closes on Sunday night with a performances by the Maccabeats. For a full preview of the films, go here.
4. Memphis Symphony Rocks, Hard Rock Cafe on Beale St., Friday, 10 p.m.,
“The musicians of the Memphis Symphony can play more than just classical music! Come out to the Hard Rock for a chance to hang out with the MSO out of their tuxedos.” – from memphissymphony.org. (Note: Harlan T. Bobo, Grace Askew, Alicja Trout, and more will be joining the MSO tonight, too.)
5. Hope Clayburn’s Soul Scrimmage, Young Ave. Deli, Saturday, 9 p.m., $10, 21+
Have you listened to the intro to the I Love Memphis Podcast and wondered who that soulful voice singing is? Well, it’s Memphis’ funk/soul siren Hope Clayburn and her Soul Scrimmage band, and she’s performing this Saturday in a benefit concert for the Mid-South Peace and Justice Center. You can purchase tickets online here or at the door.